Protecting trees that are vulnerable to beavers – some suggestions:
- As beavers typically only harvest deciduous trees only these need protection.
- Use galvanized wire mesh of size between 1×1 inch to 2×4 inch.
- The wire should extend at least 30 inches above ground and add more height to accommodate snow coverage.
- Ensure that the wire can wrap around the trunk 1 ½ to 2 times for good overlap and to allow the wire to be opened up as the diameter of the trunk increases.
- To allow for growth of small trees leave a gap of at least 3 inches all round and for larger, more mature ones, leave at least 1 inch gap.
- Do check the trees every few years to ensure that the chicken wire is not gripping tightly.
Additional information can be found on